Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park Pune Entry Fee
- 10 per person for Children and Students
- 40 per person for Adults
- 100 per person for Foreign Nationals
- 50 for Still Camera Charges
- 200 for Video Camera Charges
- Free for Handicapped and Blind (upon showing proof ID)
Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park Pune Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 52 reviews
Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park Pune Address: Pune-Satara Road, Opp. Katraj Dairy, Katraj, Pune, Maharashtra, 411046, India
Pune Tour Packages
Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park Pune Timings
|Monday||9:30 am – 5:00 pm|
|Tuesday||9:30 am – 5:00 pm|
|Wedesday||Closed / Holiday|
|Thursday||9:30 am – 5:00 pm|
|Friday||9:30 am – 5:00 pm|
|Saturday||9:30 am – 5:00 pm|
|Sunday||9:30 am – 5:00 pm|
Note: Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park Pune is Closed on WednesdayLinks: Website | Map
Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park, also known as Katraj Snake Park, is among the popular zoos in India. It is in Katraj, only a few kilometres away from Pune. So, it is a favourite among the local people and others who come to explore Pune.
Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park is divided into three sections: the zoo, a lake, and a snake park. It also has a wildlife research centre, which serves as an animal orphanage, rescue centre and care centre.
You can visit all these parts and watch the animals being cared for in a protective environment. Among the various animals in Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park & Wildlife Research Centre are leopards, black bucks and elephants. Then, you will find different species of snakes and other reptiles in the snake park.
This Pune zoo snake park also has a small library, where you can find more information about snakes.
The zoo organizes various animal welfare activities, environmental awareness events and guided tours too. And it is a must-visit place for nature lovers, experience seekers, and wildlife enthusiasts.
History of Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park
The Rajiv Gandhi Zoo Park Katraj, you see today, began as the small Peshwe Park in 1953. It was created by Pune Municipal Corporation. Later, in 1987, it helped in setting up Katraj Snake Park.
In 1997, a new zoo was planned, encompassing the Snake Park. And in 1999, Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park and Wildlife Research Centre Katraj opened. It was only a snake park, until 2005, with some deers and monkeys. Then, all the animals from Peshwe Park were brought to Pune Rajiv Gandhi Zoo. And Peshwe Park was closed.
Sometime around 2007-08, the adjacent Animal Rescue and Rehabilitation Centre also became a part of Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park. The service was set up in 1992 to capture and rehabilitate snakes. But it grew to be a rescue centre for all injured and orphaned animals and birds. The zoo has also an animal adoption scheme since 2010.
Things to do at Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park Pune
1. Watching animals in their habitat – Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park has over 300 animals living in their natural ecosystem. Leopards, crocodiles and sambhars are among those animal species. Giant squirrels, foxes and wild dogs are also in the zoo, along with White Tiger and Bengal Tiger. You will also find a variety of birds, including peacocks, vultures and eagles.
2. Learning about the snakes – The zoo is famed for its large collection of snakes and reptiles. The enclosures display venomous snakes such as vipers, pythons and others. You can also see a 13-foot-long king cobra here. And you can also get information about those snakes.
3. Getting an electric car ride around – Pune Zoo area is best explored on foot. You can also get a guide to tell you about the animals around. But for those who find it difficult to walk, battery-operated vehicles are available in this zoo park.
4. Taking part in educational activities – The animal care and research section of Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park carries various behavioural studies and research. It also hosts different programs and workshops to educate people about animals. Awareness programs, guided tours, and snake festivals are also organized.
Image Gallery of Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park Pune
Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park Timings and Entry Fees
Pune Katraj Zoo timings are from 9.30 AM to 5 PM. It is open throughout the week, except for Wednesday. Tickets for Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park cost ₹40 for adults and ₹10 for kids (shorter than 4 feet 4 inches). And for foreigners, the entry ticket costs ₹100.
Students, who come during school trips, get entry at ₹10. And blind and disabled people can get free entry upon providing proof.
Then, if you take your camera, you have to pay ₹50 for photography and ₹200 for videography. And the battery-operated vehicles are available at ₹40 for adults and ₹25 for kids. You can also hire a guide (available for groups) at ₹50 to know about all the things to see in Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park.
Best Time to Visit Rajiv Gandhi Zoo Park in Pune
The best season to visit Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park Pune is monsoon (July – September). The weather remains cool and pleasant for your visit. But the untimely rains might disturb you while you explore the zoo.
So, visit this tourist place during winter (November – February). Winters in Pune also are as best as monsoon, for the trip.
Time Required to See Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park
Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park is spread across 130 acres and has a snake park, a zoo section, and an animal orphanage. And you will need around 3-4 hours to visit this place completely. This zoo park also has Katraj Lake.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Pune Zoo
- Take care of your belongings
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Carry your hat and sunglasses.
- Carry a bottle of water and packed food
- Stay on the designated path for visitors.
- Watch your children at all times.
- Use of plastic is banned.
- Entry of pets is not allowed.
- Consuming alcohol and tobacco is prohibited.
- Do not smoke in the zoo.
- Do not feed animals.
- Do not play loud music or games.
How to reach Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park Pune?
Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park is in Katraj, on the Pune-Satara Highway, about 7 km away from Pune. It is well-connected by roads and easily accessible from all parts of the city. Pune station to Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park distance is about 10 km. And from the Pune Swargate bus stop, the zoo is about 5 km away. From the airport, the distance is about 18 km.
And here are the different ways to reach Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park in Pune –
By bus – Public city buses are available from Pune to Katraj Zoo. Katraj bus stop is only about a kilometre away from the zoo. And from there, you can walk or get an auto-rickshaw to reach the zoo.
By cab – Booking a full-day cab from top car rental companies in Pune is a more convenient way to go to Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park and visit other popular sightseeing places of Pune.
With Pune Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, you can have a relaxed and memorable holiday as our team of experts takes care of everything. We also customize Pune tour packages suiting to everyone’s holiday duration and budget requirements. What else do you need? Please fill in the Contact Us form to know more about us!